Source Code Management
and Release Automation
A modern, end-to-end Agile source code management, release automation and deployment automation tool that enables mainframe application developers at all skill levels to fulfill business requirements, optimize code quality, and improve developer productivity through mainframe DevOps.
Designed for Agile Cross-Platform Development and Mainframe DevOps
- Multiple development areas enable enterprise-wide parallel development, a hallmark of Agile source code management, cross-platform development and mainframe DevOps.
- The ISPW Impact Analysis feature enables developers to quickly see how a code change can impact the rest of the mainframe environment.
- A change manager Life Cycle chart shows multiple versions of the code in flight for better collaboration.
- End-to-end tracking provides a view of every action that affects code running in production—or at any level.
- A side-by-side Compare capability that gives mainframe application development programmers the ability to quickly compare versions of code to spot changes and easily merge them.
- Alerts to show others who are working on code that is checked out by another programmer.
- ISPW’s integration with Compuware Topaz for Total Test tightly couples unit test assets with code, enabling developers to deploy software components into a staging environment in ISPW while leveraging Jenkins to access Topaz for Total Test assets for automated unit testing. This orchestration enables the sharing of test assets, enhanced workflow and the enforcement of testing policies as part of the DevOps toolchain.
Anywhere/Anytime Approval of Code Changes
- An ISPW mobile interface enables mainframe DevOps managers to respond immediately to alerts when code changes are ready for approval
- This anytime/anywhere mobile management eliminates a common cause of code-promotion delays in mainframe application development
Automated Deployment with Easy Rollback for Agile Source Code Management
- Objects—distributed and mainframe—can be deployed together into multiple environments at the same time ensuring synchronization of the overall application
- Complete visibility over all versions of a program at multiple points in the mainframe application development life cycle means versions cannot be incorrectly overlaid, ensuring continuous integration with full integrity
- Within the ISPW Deploy Web interface, DevOps staff can view the status of all deploy requests and the environments into which the code was deployed
- In the event of a failed deployment, a right click on the status field produces an intuitive hierarchical chart that guides operators to the failure point so they can take corrective action
- A full suite of troubleshooting tools to help diagnose and fix any issues is available via the Topaz Workbench
- If necessary, some or all of the changes can be rolled back at once and in the case of the latter, replaced with a valid previous version
- Production source is synchronized with rollback so versions always match
Cross-Platform Deployment with XebiaLabs XL Release
- ISPW Deploy can also be integrated with XebiaLabs’ XL Release enabling enterprises to orchestrate application deployments across platforms using XebiaLabs XL Deploy for distributed deployment and ISPW Deploy for mainframe deployment.
- XL Release dashboards enable operators to easily view and manage deployments in one place as well as monitor their statuses across teams and environments
- Detailed analytics on release flow, including how long each step in the process took to complete, are also available—helpful in remediating persistent bottlenecks or other issues in code promotion to ensure a smooth delivery process
APIs Automate Processes Across Multi-platform Enterprises
- REST APIs for ISPW enable users to create, promote, deploy and check the status of code releases using popular Agile/DevOps tools including Jenkins, XebiaLabs XL Release, Slack and Hipchat with Webhook notification
- APIs allow visibility into what’s occurring on the mainframe so even non-mainframe programmers can run and monitor a deploy without having to have specialized knowledge about mainframe technologies
- These integrations are important for DevOps teams seeking to achieve Continuous Delivery in multi-platform enterprise environments because they automate and streamline processes and eliminate time lags caused by manual steps and hand-offs between groups
Integrations with Leading ITSM Solutions
ISPW integrates with leading IT Service Management (ITSM) solutions including BMC, ServiceNow and Tivoli via Topaz Connect. When staff initiate a change request workflow in ITSM, the specifics of the change get communicated to ISPW. As the modifications are put into place, the ITSM solution can track all progress of the workflow right through to deployment.
Expertise, Methodology and Tools for SCM Migration Success
Migrating away from an outdated, non-Agile mainframe SCM system is the right choice, but such a project can seem too risky, difficult and time consuming. Recognizing this central obstacle to customers’ mainframe modernization efforts, Compuware offers a skilled team of experts in SCM migration with a proven methodology, state of-the-art migration tools and a long history of migration success.
The ISPW SCM Migration Service is a customized solution for organizations migrating from CA Endevor, CA Panvalet, CA Librarian, Micro Focus/Serena ChangeMan and homegrown systems to the latest release of ISPW SCM. The service:
- Ensures the highest quality expertise at every step of the migration’s project lifecycle and maintains any historical changes that were made in the outdated system
- Provides for continuous communication with customers about migration progress and issues, so that all work can be appropriately coordinated with active development and test activities
- Provides advice on best practices should the user wish to reorganize their repository for easier management and use
For more information, view the ISPW SCM Migration Services page.