Get the Full Value from Your Mainframe Application Development and Data
Topaz is Compuware’s newest and highly innovative solution that empowers IT organizations to preserve and advance their mainframe investments through mainframe modernization. Topaz’s elegant simplicity in design and usability helps a new mainframe application development workforce quickly understand, update, maintain and troubleshoot even the oldest, most complex and/or most poorly documented systems.
The Topaz suite is comprised of the following:
- Topaz for Program Analysis – now with Runtime Visualizer, Online Projects and Impact Analysis
- Understand complex and unfamiliar programs faster
- Make code changes to programs with more confidence
- Instantly see code change results
- Improve code reviews
- Topaz for Enterprise Data
- Edit data with a single data editor
- Mainframe data visualization
- Quickly copy files and data with a simple drag and drop
- Topaz for Java Performance
- Reduce CPU usage
- Locate and correct Java performance issues more easily
- Easy heap memory monitoring
Topaz for Program Analysis: Mainframe Program Analysis with Runtime Visualizer
Topaz for Program Analysis intelligently analyzes mainframe programs and presents the results of that mainframe program analysis in a visually intuitive manner. Using program structure and logic flow charts, Program Analysis reduces learning curves for programmers doing mainframe application development who are unfamiliar with the mainframe or unfamiliar with the structure of a program. The mainframe program analysis provides invaluable insights into programs that don’t have documentation and are 20, 30 or even 40 years old.
Topaz for Program Analysis now includes Runtime Visualizer, a new feature that provides unprecedented graphical visibility into often-complex interactions between mainframe programs. This visibility makes it easy for veteran and novice developers alike to quickly understand, update and troubleshoot even the oldest and most complex mainframe code.
With Runtime Visualizer, developers can:
- Get a clear and accurate “snapshot” of a program’s real behavior in either production or test environments under runtime conditions.
- Generate a dynamic intuitive map of the external calls a program executes during any specified runtime within minutes—without any source code dependency. This capability saves hours or days of painstaking work, while ensuring accurate/complete results.
- Understand a program’s external calls to see how often programs call each other during a runtime and/or the specific datasets a program accesses at each point in its execution to better pinpoint potential performance bottlenecks, inefficiencies and inter-program impacts.
- Drill down to specific compile and Load Library information for programs.
In addition, Topaz for Program Analysis now features Online Projects and Impact Analysis. Mainframe application developers of all skill levels can more quickly and accurately perform mainframe program analysis of code change impacts by creating Java-like “projects”—logical collections of data sources—that allow them to discover and investigate dependencies across programs and copybooks, without having to move code off the mainframe.
– Jason Bloomberg, president of digital transformation analyst firm Intellyx
Understand Complex and Unfamiliar Programs Faster with Mainframe Program Analysis
Now developers don’t have to sift through comments, read outdated documentation or rely on mainframe application development experts to understand COBOL and PL/I application logic and logical dependencies. Program Analysis provides an instant static visual summary of what a developer needs to know about a program, enabling them to:
- Identify problems such as undefined fields, range violations and dead code to correct problems before compiling.
- Easily gauge program attributes such as size, complexity, number of files and tables to quickly determine the scope of work.
- Easily assess procedure level metrics such as number of performs, I/O, conditionals, GOTO statements and McCabe complexity metrics to easily pinpoint where codechanges need to be made.
- Generate a rich mainframe data visualization of the flow of data within programs. Data Flow shows the complete usage for any given field: how data gets into that field; how that field is used to set other fields; and how that field is used in comparisons—all displayed at-a-glance.
Make Code Changes in Mainframe Application Development with More Confidence
With access to automated, fast, consistent and current information about a program—and now the ability to see how programs interact with each other during a live runtime of a specific event—even the most inexperienced mainframe application developers can make code changes to programs more confidently.
Instantly See Code Change Results
Build new charts after a code fix to confirm the logic flow changed in the way it was intended and see if any new code problems were inadvertently introduced.
Improve Code Reviews
Developers have a visual summary of the code changes, which both improves code reviews and serves as documentation for other developers who may have to make code changes to the program.
– Jason Bloomberg, president of digital transformation analyst firm Intellyx
Topaz for Enterprise Data: Improve Enterprise Data Management
Topaz for Enterprise Data enables mainframe developers and mainframe data architects to discover, conduct mainframe data visualization and work with both mainframe and non-mainframe data in a common, intuitive manner. Using Topaz for mainframe application development, next-gen developers as well as seasoned IT pros can handle enterprise data management and manipulate applications with greater agility, speed and confidence to better meet the demands of mobile and analytics.
Edit Data with a Single Enterprise Data Editor
Source-specific tools, such as a data browser and mainframe data editor, are no longer needed for mainframe application development. Topaz’s Enterprise Data Editor features a single intuitive user interface for enterprise data management of Oracle, SQL Server, IMS, DB2 and other data types across the enterprise.
Mainframe Data Visualization
Many times developers struggle to understand the complex relationships among their enterprise data. Mainframe data visualization using Topaz’s Relationship Visualizer provides a graphical representation of data relationships across the enterprise, enabling the management of vast quantities of data objects . This feature is especially useful when extracting data for testing purposes.
Quickly Copy Files and Data with a Simple Drag and Drop
Topaz for Enterprise Data Host to Host Copy will copy files such as VSAM, JCL, flat files, source code and load libraries from one LPAR to another with a simple drag and drop or right click. The data is compressed and the processing is zIIP enabled for optimal performance.
– Tim Grieser, Program VP for Enterprise System Management Software, IDC
Topaz for Java Performance: Mainframe Application Performance
Topaz for Java Performance provides unique visibility into the performance of Java Batch programs and WebSphere transactions running on the mainframe, including peak CPU utilization of specific Java methods and classes; “Garbage Collection” issues such as memory leaks and excessively long collection intervals; and threads that are blocked or not actually doing useful work.
The product also seamlessly integrates with Compuware Strobe giving staff the ability to take comprehensive measurements of their entire Java environment—inside and out. Strobe delivers valuable insight about Java Virtual Machine (JVM) jobs and specialty processor usage, while Topaz for Java Performance provides visibility inside the JVM for targeted tuning of Java programs.
Reduce CPU Usage
Pinpoint where CPU spikes occur and how much CPU is being used at a given time and use the analysis to decide how much CPU to allocate to a particular JVM to ensure that workloads are continuously processed without interruption.
Locate and Correct Java Performance Issues More Easily
Topaz for Java Performance provides a list of Java Class Methods using the most CPU. Instead of wasting time sorting through tens of thousands of Java classes, developers can use that list to examine the Class Methods that should be investigated first for typical Java performance issues.
Easy Heap Memory Monitoring
Quickly determine if a JVM has enough Heap Memory or if more needs to be allocated to ensure work program execution continues without interruption.
– Tim Grieser, Program Vice President for Enterprise System Management Software, IDC
The Value of Topaz for Mainframe Application Development
- Enables developers to drill down into a program’s external calls to see how often programs call each other during a runtime, and/or the specific datasets a program accesses at each point in execution, to better pinpoint performance problems during mainframe program analysis.
- Removes a primary source of “friction” from mainframe DevOps to rapidly adapt even the oldest/most poorly documented systems to meet business needs.
- Provides a static view of a single program for a deeper dive into the program’s structure, enabling even the most mainframe-inexperienced developers to edit code more confidently on the fly.
- Eases the transition into mainframe application development for developers who aren’t familiar with the mainframe by leveraging the Eclipse framework–the defacto IDE for Java development, including a unique implementation of Online Projects that brings together the best of both worlds.
- Provides a single intuitive interface for enterprise data management, including data browsing and editing of mainframe and non-mainframe data, making the mainframe less intimidating for next-gen developers.
- Increases application and program understanding by making highly complex data relationships more understandable through cross-platform mainframe data visualization.
- Improved mainframe data management by eliminating the manual and labor intensive process of manually copying data and files from one LPAR to another.
- Delivers comprehensive visibility into the performance and behavior of Java Batch programs and WebSphere transactions running on the mainframe—including peak CPU utilization of specific Java processes and classes; Garbage Collection issues; and threads that are blocked or not doing useful work.
- Integrates the Compuware mainframe developer software and productivity tools–Strobe, File-AID, Abend-AID, Hiperstation and Xpediter–improving ease of use.