Modern Eclipse-based IDE
Topaz Workbench provides an Eclipse-based IDE to streamline mainframe application development with System z software. Its intuitive and easy-to-use interface provides the essentials of modern mainframe application development, testing and maintenance powered by Compuware Abend-AID, File-AID, Hiperstation, Xpediter and Strobe. The Topaz Workbench provides:
- Fault diagnosis
- Browse, edit and compare data: sequential, indexed, VSAM, DB2, IMS and z/OS UNIX
- Advanced data and source search
- Application performance tuning and analysis
- Audit reporting
- Interactive debugging: mainframe-hosted COBOL, PL/l, C language and HLASM
Topaz Workbench also provides a mainframe application development framework that delivers additional ISPF-like functionality, including:
- Source-code editing
- Invocation of mainframe compiler
- JES functions: job submission, review, print, purge
- Dataset management (i.e., allocation, compression, deletion)
- Copy files from one LPAR to another with a simple drag and drop or right click. The data is compressed and the processing is zIIP enabled for optimal performance
- Execute REXX execs and CLISTs
- Create and update File-AID XREF
Technicians can flow seamlessly from task to task while developing and maintaining a complex mix of cross-platform applications, using one intuitive GUI. Topaz Workbench allows these mature mainframe tools to exist within a common mainframe application development framework side-by-side in the same environment with other non-mainframe, non-Compuware or distributed tools.
Leverage Existing SCM Tools
Limited functionality within legacy source code management technologies like CA Endevor often prevent IT from delivering consistent value to the business. Enterprises that cannot migrate to another SCM tool still need to develop using a modern Eclipse IDE. Topaz Connect allows developers to access required CA Endevor functionality via the Workbench. Through this integration, developers can execute a range of Endevor capabilities in Eclipse including:
- Adding and move elements in the lifecycle
- Generating (compile) elements
- Creating packages
- Moving groups in the lifecycle
Integration with Atlassian Jira Software
Integration with Atlassian JIRA Software is widely used by enterprise DevOps teams to plan, perform, manage, and report on Agile software project activities. It enables users to capture faults and performance problems found via Abend-AID and Strobe to automatically create an Xpediter debug configuration that developers can then use to resolve an issue.
Intelligent Source Code Editor
This powerful, multi-language, multi-platform source code editor streamlines the creation and maintenance of application programs. Language-specific aids are available for mainframe COBOL, PL/l, HLASM and C Language. Additionally, this editor can emulate several other industry-standard editors including ISPF.
Integration with Industry-leading Tools
Topaz Workbench supports a seamless integration with SonarSource’s SonarLint COBOL plugin. Developers can now get on-the-fly feedback on code quality and adherence to standards as they edit mainframe source code. In addition, Topaz Workbench now works with Jenkins for Continuous Integration. This integration enables organizations to easily publish COBOL code metrics into SonarSource’s SonarQube—a popular dashboard for tracking quality metrics and technical debt. Development and QA managers can more easily keep projects on schedule and address shortfalls in quality or technical standards.
Topaz Workbench is also fully integrated with source code management tool ISPW, providing users access to Compuware’s full suite of mainframe application development tools.
The Value of Topaz Workbench
- Provides a modern mainframe application development framework and integrated user interface from which to initiate Compuware developer solutions
- Available at no additional cost to maintenance-paying customers of ISPW, Abend-AID, File-AID, Hiperstation, Xpediter and Strobe
- Leverages existing Eclipse frameworks and integrates with key distributed platform tools such as SonarQube, SonarLint and Jenkins to make mainframe application development less esoteric and more attractive to the next generation of developers
- Integrates with ISPW providing access to Compuware development tools and capabilities including the ability to visualize complex application logic, make changes to code, test and debug.
- Builds on the powerful functionality in Compuware tools for over three decades for superior data editing, fault diagnosis, debugging and performance tuning
- Has an industry-leading, intelligent source code editor that assists in all aspects of source code manipulation
- Makes the mainframe very intuitive for Millennial developers new to the platform
- Helps organizations address the mainframe skills shortage due to a retiring workforce
- Small workstation footprint and central administrative capabilities make it easy for an organization to roll out and maintain