Topaz Workbench provides an Eclipse-based IDE to streamline mainframe development. Its intuitive and easy-to-use interface provides the essentials of mainframe software development, testing and maintenance powered by Compuware Abend-AID, File-AID, Hiperstation, Xpediter and Strobe. The Topaz Workbench provides:
- Fault diagnosis
- Data browse and edit: sequential, indexed, VSAM, DB2, IMS and z/OS UNIX
- Advanced data and source search
- Application performance tuning and analysis
- Audit reporting
- Interactive debugging: mainframe-hosted COBOL, PL/l, C language and HLASM
Topaz Workbench also provides a framework that delivers additional ISPF-like functionality, including:
- Source-code editing
- Invocation of mainframe compiler
- JES functions: job submission, review, print, purge
- Dataset management (i.e., allocation, compression, deletion)
- Copy files from one LPAR to another with a simple drag and drop or right click
Technicians can flow seamlessly from task to task while developing and maintaining a complex mix of cross-platform applications, using one intuitive GUI. Topaz Workbench allows these mature mainframe tools to exist within a common framework side-by-side in the same environment with other non-mainframe, non-Compuware or distributed tools.
Integration with Atlassian Jira Software
Integration with Atlassian JIRA Software enables users to capture faults and performance problems found via Abend-AID and Strobe to automatically create an Xpediter debug configuration that developers can then use to resolve an issue.
Intelligent Source Code Editor
This powerful, multi-language, multi-platform source code editor streamlines the creation and maintenance of application programs. Language-specific aids are available for mainframe COBOL, PL/l, HLASM and C Language. Additionally, this editor can emulate several other industry-standard editors including ISPF.
Integration with SonarSource and Jenkins
Topaz Workbench supports a seamless integration with SonarSource’s SonarLint COBOL plugin. Developers can now get on-the-fly feedback on code quality and adherence to standards as they edit mainframe source code. In addition, Topaz Workbench now works with Jenkins for Continuous Integration. This integration enables organizations to easily publish COBOL code metrics into SonarSource’s SonarQube—a popular dashboard for tracking quality metrics and technical debt. Development and QA managers can more easily keep projects on schedule and address shortfalls in quality or technical standards.
The Value of Topaz Workbench
- Provides a common, modern framework and integrated user interface from which to initiate Compuware developer solutions
- Leverages existing Eclipse frameworks and integrates with key distributed platform tools such as SonarQube, SonarLint and Jenkins to make mainframe application development less esoteric and more attractive to the next generation of developers
- Builds on the powerful functionality in Compuware tools for over three decades for superior data editing, fault diagnosis, debugging and performance tuning
- Has an industry-leading, intelligent source code editor that assists in all aspects of source code manipulation
- Makes the mainframe very intuitive for developers new to the platform
- Helps organizations address retiring mainframe workforce issues
- Has a small workstation footprint with low hardware requirements, helping to keep costs down