Topaz for Total Test
Automated Unit Testing
About Topaz for Total Test
Find and Fix COBOL Bugs Earlier with Automated Unit Tests
Manually creating and running unit tests is often skipped because it’s tedious and expensive. But forgoing unit tests diminishes developer confidence in making changes to many parts of a program, and hurts the security and quality of those parts throughout ensuing testing phases.
Topaz for Total Test, Compuware’s automated unit test creation and execution tool, cuts down the time it takes to make sure code is fully tested and prepared for fewer issues later in the lifecycle by enabling developers to:
- Automate the creation and execution of mainframe unit tests
- Validate code changes immediately
- Maintain the quality of their codebase
- Quickly put program code updates into production
- Leverage integrations with leading cross-platform DevOps and Compuware tools
- Use test results as metric for SonarSource’s SonarQube Quality Gates in DevOps process
The Value of Topaz for Total Test
- Increase velocity to production
- Eliminate dependency on specialized mainframe knowledge
- Empower novice developers to validate COBOL code changes with same speed and confidence as other code
- Support Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
- Reduce time spent manually writing tests, collecting test data or manually creating data
- Increase confidence to make large mainframe code changes
Key Features of Topaz for Total Test
DevOps Toolchain Integrations
Topaz for Total Test can be easily integrated into a DevOps toolchain to enable COBOL unit testing within the automated build-test-deploy process through integrations with Jenkins, ISPW and SonarSource’s SonarQube:
- Integration with Jenkins: Topaz for Total Test is easily configurable into an existing Jenkins workflow. COBOL unit testing can be automatically triggered as part of a DevOps toolchain and/or Continuous Delivery process for enterprise DevOps efficiency.
- Integration with ISPW: Enables Topaz for Total Test assets to be contained within ISPW along with code changes. Developers can deploy their software components into a test environment while leveraging DevOps tools like Jenkins to access Topaz for Total Test assets for automated unit testing.
- Integration with SonarSource’s SonarQube: Unit testing pass/fail results can be displayed in SonarQube along with other quality trends throughout the DevOps process. SonarQube Quality Gates can be defined to use the unit test results to determine whether to proceed with the workflow or stop and fix the code before continuing.
Automatically Collect Test Data with Xpediter
From within an Xpediter debugging session, a right click to Topaz for Total Test automatically generates a unit test and collects the necessary test assets—including test data and program call parameters—to help create the test and test data so they can be used repeatedly in later testing.
Data and Program Stubbing
Automatically creates stubs for DB2 databases as well as VSAM and QSAM data files, making it easier to create repeatable tests. Stubs move with the unit test so the test runs independently of data files, eliminating the need to move data separately. Data within data stubs can be edited to drive specific test cases.
Topaz for Total Test also creates program stubs, which simplifies and accelerates large COBOL program testing by eliminating the need to call the actual sub-program.
Automatically Generate Unit Tests and Test Assets
Topaz for Total Test automatically generates unit tests and program stubs while collecting the necessary test data for data stubs—to simplify test setup and execution on different test systems.
Easily Create Test Assertions
Topaz for Total Test generates default unit test result assertions that enable comparisons between the expected results and actual program results. Developers can also easily change the expected results collected from the program to create new test cases. After the unit test executes, test assertions are evaluated to determine if the test passes or fails.
Flexibly Execute Unit Tests
Because data stubs are moved with unit tests, developers have the flexibility of executing their unit tests on different systems based upon available test environments. Topaz for Total Test also displays a simple list of target systems with test runners from which to choose. Developers simply need to pick the target system and run the test. Topaz for Total Test then automatically transfers the unit tests as well as all program and data stubs needed.