Get the Full Value from Your Mainframe Applications and Data
Topaz is Compuware’s newest and highly innovative solution that empowers IT organizations to preserve and advance their mainframe investments. Topaz’s elegant simplicity in design and usability helps a new mainframe development workforce quickly understand, update, maintain and troubleshoot even the oldest, most complex and/or most poorly documented systems.
The Topaz suite is comprised of the following:
- Topaz for Program Analysis and Runtime Visualizer
- Get Deep Visibility into Complex Interactions Between Mainframe Programs
- Understand Complex and Unfamiliar Programs Faster
- Make Code Changes to Programs with More Confidence
- Integrations with distributed platform tools like SonarQube and Jenkins
- Instantly See Code Change Results
- Improve Code Reviews
- Topaz for Enterprise Data – Now with Extract Visualizer
- Edit Data with a Single Enterprise Editor
- Visualize Data Relationships
- Visualize and Understand Data Extracts to Create More Accurate Test Data
- Topaz for Java Performance
- Reduce CPU Usage
- Locate and Correct Java Performance Issues More Easily
- Easy Heap Memory Monitoring
Topaz for Program Analysis
Topaz for Program Analysis intelligently analyzes mainframe programs and presents the results of that analysis in a visually intuitive manner. Using program structure and logic flow charts, Program Analysis reduces learning curves for programmers unfamiliar with the mainframe or unfamiliar with the structure of a program. The analysis provides invaluable insights into programs that don’t have documentation and are 20, 30 or even 40 years old.
Topaz for Program Analysis includes Runtime Visualizer, a feature that provides unprecedented graphical visibility into often-complex interactions between mainframe programs. This visibility makes it easy for veteran and novice developers alike to quickly understand, update and troubleshoot even the oldest and most complex mainframe code.
With Runtime Visualizer, developers can:
- Get a clear and accurate “snapshot” of a program’s real behavior in either production or test environments under runtime conditions
- Generate a dynamic intuitive map of the external calls a program executes during any specified runtime within minutes—without any source code dependency. This capability saves hours or days of painstaking work, while ensuring accurate/complete results
- Understand a program’s external calls to see how often programs call each other during a runtime and/or the specific datasets a program accesses at each point in its execution to better pinpoint potential performance bottlenecks, inefficiencies and inter-program impacts
- View the flow of I/O from programs to individual DB2 tables, IMS databases and file
- Understand program calls and improve performance by watching I/O counts for Batch and CICS files, as well as SQL verb counts for DB2 tables in Batch and CICS and easily discover other key information about a program by hovering over objects, lines, and counts
- Easily filter, sort, export and display recorded events in table form
- Drill down to specific compile and Load Library information for programs
In addition, Topaz for Program Analysis now features Online Projects and Impact Analysis. Developers of all skill levels can more quickly and accurately perform impact analyses by creating Java-like “projects”—logical collections of data sources—that allow them to discover and investigate dependencies across programs and copybooks, without having to move code off the mainframe.
– Jason Bloomberg, president of digital transformation analyst firm Intellyx
Understand Complex and Unfamiliar Programs Faster
Now developers don’t have to sift through comments, read outdated documentation or rely on experts to understand COBOL and PL/I application logic and logical dependencies. Program Analysis provides an instant static visual summary of what a developer needs to know about a program, enabling them to:
- Identify problems such as undefined fields, range violations and dead code to correct problems before compiling
- Easily gauge program attributes such as size, complexity, number of files and tables to quickly determine the scope of work
- Easily assess procedure level metrics such as number of performs, I/O, conditionals, GOTO statements and McCabe complexity metrics to easily pinpoint where changes need to be made
- Generate a rich visualization of the flow of data within programs. Data Flow shows the complete usage for any given field: how data gets into that field; how that field is used to set other fields; and how that field is used in comparisons—all displayed at-a-glance
Make Code Changes to Programs with More Confidence
With access to automated, fast, consistent and current information about a program—and now the ability to see how programs interact with each other during a live runtime of a specific event—even the most mainframe-inexperienced developers can make changes to programs more confidently.
Instantly See Code Change Results
Build new charts after a code fix to confirm the logic flow changed in the way it was intended and see if any new code problems were inadvertently introduced.
Improve Code Reviews
Developers have a visual summary of the code changes, which both improves code reviews and serves as documentation for other developers who may have to make changes to the program.
– Jason Bloomberg, president of digital transformation analyst firm Intellyx
Topaz for Enterprise Data
Topaz for Enterprise Data enables mainframe developers and mainframe data architects to discover, visualize and work with both mainframe and non-mainframe data in a common, intuitive manner. Using Topaz, next-gen mainframe developers as well as seasoned IT pros can manipulate Enterprise Data and applications with greater agility, speed and confidence to better meet the demands of mobile and analytics.
Edit Data with a Single Enterprise Editor
Source-specific tools to browse and edit data are no longer needed for mainframe development. Topaz’s Enterprise Data Editor features a single intuitive user interface to manage Oracle, SQL Server, IMS, DB2 and other data types across the enterprise.
Visualize Data Relationships and Data Extracts
Developers, data architects, analysts and other IT professionals can visually manage vast quantities of data objects using the Relationship Visualizer, a graphical representation of data relationships across the enterprise. In addition, through its powerful extract visualization capabilities, Topaz for Enterprise Data makes it easy for programmers to visually understand and tune complex related data extracts, produce accurate test data, and understand why a given test data extract may not be fulfilling test/QA requirements for completeness or sample size.
– Tim Grieser, Program VP for Enterprise System Management Software, IDC
Topaz for Java Performance
Topaz for Java Performance provides unique visibility into the performance of Java Batch programs and WebSphere transactions running on the mainframe, including peak CPU utilization of specific Java methods and classes; “Garbage Collection” issues such as memory leaks and excessively long collection intervals; and threads that are blocked or not actually doing useful work.
The product also seamlessly integrates with Compuware Strobe giving staff the ability to take comprehensive measurements of their entire Java environment—inside and out. Strobe delivers valuable insight about Java Virtual Machine (JVM) jobs and specialty processor usage, while Topaz for Java Performance provides visibility inside the JVM for targeted tuning of Java programs.
– Tim Grieser, Program Vice President for Enterprise System Management Software, IDC
Reduce CPU Usage
Pinpoint where CPU spikes occur and how much CPU is being used at a given time and use the analysis to decide how much CPU to allocate to a particular JVM to ensure that workloads are continuously processed without interruption.
Locate and Correct Java Performance Issues More Easily
Topaz for Java Performance provides a list of Java Class Methods using the most CPU. Instead of wasting time sorting through tens of thousands of Java classes, developers can use that list to examine the Class Methods that should be investigated first for typical Java performance issues.
Easy Heap Memory Monitoring
Quickly determine if a JVM has enough Heap Memory or if more needs to be allocated to ensure work program execution continues without interruption.
The Topaz Workbench provides an Eclipse-based IDE that enables developers with a variety of technical backgrounds to be quickly productive in a mainframe environment. This next generation tool provides a common framework and integrated user interface from which to initiate Compuware’s industry-leading developer tools, Abend-AID, File-AID, Hiperstation, Xpediter and Strobe, as well as non-Compuware products and distributed solutions. Technicians can use Topaz Workbench to flow seamlessly from task to task while developing and maintaining a complex mix of cross-platform applications. Along with integrated access to our core developer productivity tools, Topaz Workbench also provides core z/OS functionality and other features that exploit the Eclipse framework to remove the esoteric nature of mainframe development.
The Value of Topaz
- Enables developers to drill down into a program’s external calls to see how often programs call each other during a runtime, and/or the specific datasets a program accesses at each point in execution, to better pinpoint performance problems
- Removes a primary source of “friction” from mainframe DevOps to rapidly adapt even the oldest/most poorly documented systems to meet business needs
- Provides a static view of a single program for a deeper dive into the program’s structure, enabling even the most mainframe-inexperienced developers to edit code more confidently on the fly
- Eases the transition into mainframe development for developers who aren’t familiar with the mainframe by leveraging the Eclipse framework–the defacto IDE for Java development, including a unique implementation of Online Projects that brings together the best of both worlds
- Provides a single intuitive interface for browsing and editing mainframe and non-mainframe data, making the mainframe less intimidating for next-gen developers
- Increases application and program understanding by making highly complex data relationships more understandable through cross-platform data visualization
- Eliminates the manual and labor intensive process of manually copying data and files from one LPAR to another
- Delivers comprehensive visibility into the performance and behavior of Java Batch programs and WebSphere transactions running on the mainframe—including peak CPU utilization of specific Java processes and classes; Garbage Collection issues; and threads that are blocked or not doing useful work.
- Integrates the Compuware mainframe developer software and productivity tools–Strobe, File-AID, Abend-AID, Hiperstation and Xpediter–improving ease of use
- Provides a modern Eclipse-based framework and integrated user interface from which to initiate Compuware developer products and access common z/OS functionality
- Integrates with Source Code Management and Release Automation tool ISPW, enabling developers to access Topaz for Program Analysis to immediately visualize complex application logic, quickly size up compile errors, and perform other useful program analysis tasks