To reduce data storage costs, enterprises need superior tools that maximize data storage capacity, reduce VSAM run time, improve CICS and batch performance and reduce CPU consumption.
VSAM Performance (IAM)
- A reliable, high-performance and transparent alternative to a VSAM Key-Sequenced Data Set (KSDS), a KSDS with Alternate Indexes, an Entry-Sequenced Data Set (ESDS) and a Relative Record Data Set (RRDS) that are commonly used by CICS online regions and Batch jobs.
- Has a proven track record to outperform VSAM by reducing the number of I/O operations resulting in reduced CPU time, elapsed time and response time.
- Lowers costs by exploiting 64-Bit storage for buffering and indexing resulting in significant CPU time reduction and improved elapsed time.
Disk Reorganization (FDRREORG and IAM DYNAMIC REORG)
- Provides a VSAM data set reorganization solution that is fast, flexible and intelligent. Reorganizes VSAM KSDS, Alternate Index (AIX) files, and IAM and IAM AIX files.
- Given user-specifiable controls, a reorganization can be avoided altogether if the file will not benefit from reorganization. A simulation mode is provided to establish the selection criteria at just the right threshold.
- Provides data set reorganization for IAM files while data sets are open for updating in CICS regions. Updates that occur during the reorganization process are applied in a timely fashion after the reorganization is completed.
- Significantly faster than VSAM IDCAMs reorganization, providing a 20% to 60% reduction in wall clock, CPU time and I/O operations (EXCP) compared to VSAM IDCAMs.
Disk Management (FASTCPK)
- Ensures storage volumes are operating at maximum performance and efficiency.
- Consolidates free space into one or two contiguous areas to ensure data set allocation is placed on the right disks with correct primary and secondary allocations.
- Merges extents from Sequential, PDS, PDSE, VSAM, and Extended Format VSAM data sets and releases all or part of the unused space.