Optimizing Performance of Complex Application Infrastructures Within the Data Center
Increases in data center complexity mean IT and operations leaders must manage multi-tier, heterogeneous infrastructures that are now increasingly web-enabled, virtualized and often still tied to legacy mainframe applications. Quick troubleshooting and optimization of application performance in these scenarios require application monitoring tools that can monitor all applications and their supporting infrastructure but, most importantly, analyze the data in the context of the end user’s actual experience.Finding and fixing performance problems in complex data centers is a daunting task for IT operations and business counterparts. Every enterprise has website monitoring tools but these typically look at the individual components of the application delivery chain in isolation of one another. Monitoring “trees” and not the “forest” leads to two primary issues.
- IT has partial visibility, leaving huge blind spots. Operations managers spend needless time on event correlation and analytics to identify the problem.
- Traditional solutions provide a keyhole view into one piece of infrastructure but the performance of that component doesn’t show the real end-user experience. The Gomez approach is unique: The actual end-user experience drives fault domain analysis, rather than a fragmented view of infrastructure performance that may or may not be the root cause of outages or service degradations.
- Is a critical application affected?
- Which users or customers are impacted by poor performance and how severely?
- Which data center components are causing the problem?
When a problem occurs, you need to know the business impact:
The Answer: Accelerate Problem Identification and Resolution to Ensure Positive End-user Experiences
Gomez is the only solution that provides the insight needed to determine both the business and user impact of application performance. Gomez monitors the entire application delivery chain, including all application infrastructure components: firewalls, load balancers, authentication servers, web and applications servers, middleware, databases and the underlying network. When end-user experience degrades, Gomez isolates which of the many components of the data center is the root cause of negative end-user experience. Faster fault domain isolation and mean-time-to-recovery delivers several advantages.
- Plug revenue drains. Ensure every end-user experience is the best it can be. Whether the user is a customer, partner or employee, application performance dictates whether they will use your system, a competitor’s or an older more costly system.
- Gain a competitive edge. Understand your user’s actual experience and then work to optimize performance so more users use the application.
- Reduce IT spending. Identify which infrastructure tiers and components deplete your resources. Gomez helps baseline and monitor ongoing performance to help you meet business success metrics.
The Gomez Answer
With Gomez's, IT infrastructure management teams can proactively prioritize and identify where performance problems reside, whether in bandwidth contention, latency or server response time, and effectively troubleshoot complex application performance problems quickly.
Monitoring complex application infrastructures doesn’t have to be difficult. With Gomez, you can use:
- Gomez Real-User Monitoring – Data Center: (Gomez Data Center RUM): Enables you to monitor all real-user traffic for any application or user, including employees and customers using web, non-web, mobile or cloud applications. With Gomez Data Center RUM, you can trace and analyze transactions across an unlimited number of tiers to diagnose root causes in the context of the end-user experience.
- Gomez Business Service Manager (BSM): Builds a transaction and service model based on the performance data collected within Gomez and from third-party monitoring products, as well as CMDB and application dependency mapping products. Working with adapters for over 80 third-party platforms, Gomez BSM can integrate and analyze data from systems such as Microsoft SCOM, BMC Performance Manager, HP Operations Manager, SolarWinds, Netcool, Nagios and many others. The ability to rationalize performance analytics in a multi-vendor environment is unique in the industry and preserves existing investments like no other solution.
- Gomez Synthetic Monitoring – Private Enterprise: Validate the speed and reliability of your applications from your end users’ perspective by measuring performance from dedicated machines installed anywhere on your network, as well as your partners’ and your suppliers’ networks.
- Gomez Java and .NET Monitoring: Identifies poorly performing user transactions by drilling down to the offending method and analyzing specific execution paths, even down to the code level. It provides further analysis of the method calls made from the JVM/CLR to downstream components, including database calls and MQ calls, to help you correct performance issues.
- Gomez Transaction Trace Analysis: Identifies end-user delays with client, network and server root causes through a transaction-focused packet analysis and drills down into application- or network-specific diagnostics to help you solve performance problems.
- Gomez Server Performance Monitoring: Passively monitors application flows on the network to analyze performance, availability and the health of the network and its impact on application performance.
- Gomez Network Performance Monitoring: Passively monitors application flows on the network to analyze performance, availability and the health of the network and its impact on application performance.
Learn more about the Gomez Performance Management solution.
Learn how to optimize application performance in the midst of today’s data center complexity, watch the video below.